Memere...
On Wednesday, January 17, 2007 at 7:20pm my grandmother, Mémère, passed away. My dad, Maryann, Mike and Crisi were with her.
On Tuesday in the afternoon, I got a call from Dad at work, which he never does, and he told me that she wasn’t doing well and that if I wanted to visit her, I should do it now. Mémère had been moved two weeks prior into the nursing home because she needed more care than in assisted living.
I really didn’t think anything of it because there are a lot of people who move into nursing homes that don’t die right away.
Dad and I talked about going to visit her after work on Wednesday and I got a pit in belly. I couldn’t figure it out. I didn’t know if I wanted to go with Dad or if I wanted to go by myself. Then something came over me and I really debated whether I should just go on Tuesday after work. Since I worked late, it was 9:00pm before I was on my way. I wondered what the visiting hours were, talked to a friend and then just decided that I wanted to go that night.
When I got to the nursing home, she was sleeping. I had talked to my Aunt who said that Crisi leaned close to Mémère’s head and talked really loud. I really didn’t want to wake her up so I watched her for a few moments. Then I just decided to talk and let her know that I was there. Dad said she didn’t open her eyes or talk but he got the sense that she knew what was going on.
I put my mouth close to her head/ears and said, Mémère, this is Terry. I came to see you. Do you know I am here? And she nodded. Then she seemed like she was hot and moved the covers off of her body. She was so thin, I had never seen her so thin. She made a face and I watched her breathe. It didn’t seem to me that she was struggling but as I talked, her breathing became more intense (just for the moment).
I sat on the edge of the bed, held her hand, touched her arm and rubbed her head. I leaned over and kissed her and told her I loved her. The mothering instinct in me kicked in and I put the covers over her arms and made sure her feet were covered. About 2 minutes later, the covers came off! J I also started to cry.
Then I started to remember… remember when we played cards, I helped her cook, had root beer slushes, going through her vanity where her make up was, looking in her room, and so much more.
I love you Mémère!
On Tuesday in the afternoon, I got a call from Dad at work, which he never does, and he told me that she wasn’t doing well and that if I wanted to visit her, I should do it now. Mémère had been moved two weeks prior into the nursing home because she needed more care than in assisted living.
I really didn’t think anything of it because there are a lot of people who move into nursing homes that don’t die right away.
Dad and I talked about going to visit her after work on Wednesday and I got a pit in belly. I couldn’t figure it out. I didn’t know if I wanted to go with Dad or if I wanted to go by myself. Then something came over me and I really debated whether I should just go on Tuesday after work. Since I worked late, it was 9:00pm before I was on my way. I wondered what the visiting hours were, talked to a friend and then just decided that I wanted to go that night.
When I got to the nursing home, she was sleeping. I had talked to my Aunt who said that Crisi leaned close to Mémère’s head and talked really loud. I really didn’t want to wake her up so I watched her for a few moments. Then I just decided to talk and let her know that I was there. Dad said she didn’t open her eyes or talk but he got the sense that she knew what was going on.
I put my mouth close to her head/ears and said, Mémère, this is Terry. I came to see you. Do you know I am here? And she nodded. Then she seemed like she was hot and moved the covers off of her body. She was so thin, I had never seen her so thin. She made a face and I watched her breathe. It didn’t seem to me that she was struggling but as I talked, her breathing became more intense (just for the moment).
I sat on the edge of the bed, held her hand, touched her arm and rubbed her head. I leaned over and kissed her and told her I loved her. The mothering instinct in me kicked in and I put the covers over her arms and made sure her feet were covered. About 2 minutes later, the covers came off! J I also started to cry.
Then I started to remember… remember when we played cards, I helped her cook, had root beer slushes, going through her vanity where her make up was, looking in her room, and so much more.
I love you Mémère!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home