Happy New Year!!!
Well, 2008 is off to a bang!
The dogs, Daunte, Carter and Sabrina are making our heart rate go up! It started in December with Carter who had a lump on his leg. From the surface, it looked like a mast cell tumor (the "c" word). His vet, Jodi, wanted him in to do an immediate surgery. We are happy to note it's not cancer and he is on the mend. He had to wear a bandage for about 10 days and it was very interesting watching Lyn try to keep his sore covered while he kept taking the bandage off!!!
Then on Christmas Morning, I was out with Sabrina while she was doing her business and noticed blood in the snow!!! My heart went to China and I called the vet. During his Christmas morning, Dr. Dave called me back and we talked about my options for the day. I watched her all day until the next morning and brought her to the vets office. It turns out Sabrina has/had a urinary tract infection! She has been on antibiotics now for about 2 and a half weeks with about 7 days to go. Hopefully the infection will be all gone when I bring the next "sample" in for checking. Sabrina does not like the antibiotic she is taking and since she doesn't like it squished and in her food, I have had to give the pill to her by placing it on her tongue and making sure she swallows. That has been a joke! First of all, I have never given her any pills that way and since I am no expert at it Lyn usually is the one to give Sabrina her medicine. Sabrina hates it so much, Lyn is getting the evil eye! I can't wait til it's over!!!
And just this past weekend, when Sabrina and I came home from doing errands, Daunte started really crying out as if he was in intense pain. There is always so much commotion when we come home (three dogs greeting each other) that I just thought Sabrina stepped on him, took his toy away - things like that. Since they don't speak English (we have enrolled all three dogs in English Language Classes!!), we had no idea what happened. Later on that day, he did it again so off to the ER Vet we went. Everything checked out fine - but his adrenaline was really going that it was hard to determine if he was in pain. After going through Sunday with little improvement, Lyn called her vet and we brought Daunte in on Monday. We found out he has a slipped disc in his back and he was in a lot of pain. He is on meds now with strick instructions to keep him quite for 2 weeks or we may have to do surgery.
Keeping Daunte and Carter "quite" is proving to be a very hard task and at times, funny to watch us figure this out. Lyn and I are determined because we really don't want him to go into surgery.
Since things come in "three's" we are all over for the year and hopefully by February, our little family will be all healthy! (yea right!)
Stay tuned for more updates...
Happy New Year!!!
The dogs, Daunte, Carter and Sabrina are making our heart rate go up! It started in December with Carter who had a lump on his leg. From the surface, it looked like a mast cell tumor (the "c" word). His vet, Jodi, wanted him in to do an immediate surgery. We are happy to note it's not cancer and he is on the mend. He had to wear a bandage for about 10 days and it was very interesting watching Lyn try to keep his sore covered while he kept taking the bandage off!!!
Then on Christmas Morning, I was out with Sabrina while she was doing her business and noticed blood in the snow!!! My heart went to China and I called the vet. During his Christmas morning, Dr. Dave called me back and we talked about my options for the day. I watched her all day until the next morning and brought her to the vets office. It turns out Sabrina has/had a urinary tract infection! She has been on antibiotics now for about 2 and a half weeks with about 7 days to go. Hopefully the infection will be all gone when I bring the next "sample" in for checking. Sabrina does not like the antibiotic she is taking and since she doesn't like it squished and in her food, I have had to give the pill to her by placing it on her tongue and making sure she swallows. That has been a joke! First of all, I have never given her any pills that way and since I am no expert at it Lyn usually is the one to give Sabrina her medicine. Sabrina hates it so much, Lyn is getting the evil eye! I can't wait til it's over!!!
And just this past weekend, when Sabrina and I came home from doing errands, Daunte started really crying out as if he was in intense pain. There is always so much commotion when we come home (three dogs greeting each other) that I just thought Sabrina stepped on him, took his toy away - things like that. Since they don't speak English (we have enrolled all three dogs in English Language Classes!!), we had no idea what happened. Later on that day, he did it again so off to the ER Vet we went. Everything checked out fine - but his adrenaline was really going that it was hard to determine if he was in pain. After going through Sunday with little improvement, Lyn called her vet and we brought Daunte in on Monday. We found out he has a slipped disc in his back and he was in a lot of pain. He is on meds now with strick instructions to keep him quite for 2 weeks or we may have to do surgery.
Keeping Daunte and Carter "quite" is proving to be a very hard task and at times, funny to watch us figure this out. Lyn and I are determined because we really don't want him to go into surgery.
Since things come in "three's" we are all over for the year and hopefully by February, our little family will be all healthy! (yea right!)
Stay tuned for more updates...
Happy New Year!!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home